Tuesday 13 September 2011

Day 6 - And I Get By With a Little Help From My Friends

Yesterday shone with the generosity of ten thousand suns and one very large harvest moon!  Bartered for yogurt and shared moon cake to celebrate the Mid-Autumn Festival.  I am so grateful to be in such wonderful company.

Today, I hashed out some ideas with friends:
  • Visit the Sikh Temple for free dinner (http://akalisingh-sikhsociety.ca/)
  • Look up sale listings for houses that include gardens and see what was left over by the last tenants
  • Offer garden help in exchange for fruits or vegetables
  • Dumpster dive
Some other items to forage for include:
  • cat-tail roots (apparently you saute them)
  • dandelion roots/leaves/flowers
  • lavender
I am super excited about all of these possibilities that I hadn't considered; this is the beauty of community.

One more rule came up during the discussion:

3.  Food that is bartered must be foraged or appropriated in a non-monetary way.

I like this rule because it involves everyone in this project.  Friends who want to help will have to think unconventionally.  They will get to discover means to survive the post-apocalyptic landscape.  This is my gift :)

No comments:

Post a Comment