Friday 9 September 2011

Day 3 - A Taste of Blackberries

"If opportunity rears its head, will you answer or stay home in bed?"
[The Day is Coming by My Morning Jacket]

And a good morning to you, Mr. Jim Jones!  Today I choose to answer.  (PS: Thank you for scoring my morning berry forage.)

Last night I saw a patch of blackberry bushes, but there were too many spiders and webs so I waited until this beautiful morning to harvest.  Amid the stillness and dewy air, berry-picking-yoga!  A study claims that many women who were housewives during the 1950s experienced something called contracture; they were unable to lift their arms any further than the highest cupboard in their kitchen.  More berry-picking required!

The spoils

This morning an opportunity arrived in my inbox in the form of an ethical deal to learn how to forage for mushrooms (http://ethicaldeal.com/deal/50-off-3-hour-wild-mushroom-and-herb-tour-with-high-tea-and-lunch-%28$70-value%29/city:vancouver?sub=1&utm_source=Vancouver&utm_campaign=f321efe2f3-UA-17120634-1&utm_medium=email&mc_cid=f321efe2f3&mc_eid=1318002850).
A part of me says to do it.  Another more arrogant part of me thinks I can learn it from a book. 

I found seeds for sprouts and winter vegetables from 2010 (Thank you, Karen from meditation) in a box.  I have started the sprouts.  They take about 4 to 6 days to grow.

Sideways picture of sprouts

Lastly, I made granola bars last night (kind of ad hoc, really).

Breakfast!
If you would like to make these delightful post-apocalyptic bars in your own home:  Day 3 - Granola Bar Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment