Saturday 17 September 2011

Day 11 - First Dumpster Dive

So I decided to see what was available around Surrey in terms of dumpster spoils.  I went to the Fleetwood Save-On Foods and Safeway.  Both had 'receiving' areas with carts and stuff, but no food!  Seems like everything goes into a chute that leads to a garbage compactor.

My intrepid companion and I spied a set of dumpsters behind the Evergreen Plaza.  We investigated the unlocked ones and found that only one was full.  I asked my taller companion to hold the lid while I fished around.  Lots of bags with pharmaceutical bottles from the Shopper's in the complex.  Then, I slid my hand in a box and pulled out a leaf of lettuce!  Thinking this was the jackpot, we began to fish out the box, heaving it up and over the edge of the dumpster.

The bottom of the box broke and what came out was garbage sludge and corn husks and just really nasty stuff that splashed against my sweatshirt.  At this exact moment a couple of employees from the Ricky's came by with bags.  We could not stop laughing.  I quickly regained composure as they drew closer.  The guy asked us which place we worked at...and we said we didn't....we were...uhhh....here to get the boxes for ... moving? and this box fell out?  The guy was super chill about it all and hauled it into the next dumpster and said, "Cool."  Furiously applied hand sanitizer.

Kind of disappointed by the dumpster diving portion of the evening, but high on laughter, we felt emboldened enough to straight up ask for morning pastries from Starbucks.  We spent about 10 minutes outside trying to figure out what to say when asked what the donations were for.  The truth?  Which version of the truth and what amount of detail?  Turns out it was enough just to ask without all the justifications and explanations.  We asked if they had any pastries to donate and walked away with a bag of goods. 

The good news is that I should gain back all that weight by the time this bag of treats is done!

Sugar High Me: Cake Pop and Pumpkin Muffin

No comments:

Post a Comment