Saturday 19 November 2011

Day 73 - Freebasing Chocolate

I have my period and incidentally a huge craving for chocolate...I know, I know.  What to do?  Well, when you have 2 unsweetened squares of Baker's chocolate, you make macaroons (sans le coconut).

les ingredients

You might notice that suddenly I have this huge tub of vegetable oil shortening - where did that come from?  Turns out, I have a reserve of fats that I use to make soap.  This is about a year old, but it doesn't smell rancid.

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup of vegetable oil shortening (vintage 1 year)
  • 2 Baker's unsweetened chocolate squares
  • about 2-3 tbsp of icing sugar
  • about 1/2 cup of oats

Method:
  • Heat vegetable oil shortening in a pan on the stove-top (medium heat).  When the shortening has liquefied add the chocolate squares, stirring.
  • When everything is liquid stir in the icing sugar and oats.  You may need to add more oats to create a stiffer mixture.
  • Remove from heat.  Spoon mixture (in spoonfuls) onto a baking pan and set aside to solidify at room temperature.  I imagine you could refrigerate for faster results, but I prefer food at room temperature these days and also since I am conserving heat, my apartment is about fridge temperature.
  • For extra fun, I poured hot water into the pan after spooning out the macaroons.  Then I poured the remaining chocolate residue into a cup - hot chocolate!

they sparkle!



No comments:

Post a Comment