Thursday 3 November 2011

Day 56 - Sugar Cube(d)

If 'sugar' was a field on blood test results, the reading would indicate that my blood could be kool-aid once you added water to the concentrate.  Being an instructor at Kumon during Hallowe'en week has meant cookies, cupcakes, and treats everyday (if you click the link, you can see the table with all the treats from our Hallowe'en party)!  Parents have brought us seasonal baked goods by the dozen.  It's been awesome.  And it gets better.

McDonald's has free premium arabica coffee until November 6th!  While waiting in line, I noticed that McDonald's has self-serve drink fountains.  I also noticed that most patrons leave their cups sitting on the ground outside or other places that are not the garbage.  It would be so easy to grab a cup and fill, as they have a free re-fill policy.  The thing is, I can't stand soft drinks.  As it is, I get pretty jittery from the coffee.  I really can't bring myself to indulge in the fountain drinks - not enough sustenance to defy this aversion.

Sugary foods are truly the most freely abundant and as we know, dangerous.  When I take sugar and caffeine, I can feel my body chemistry change.  I feel something shift in my brain.  It's like being on drugs.  I notice that when kids at the centre have eaten Hallowe'en candy before/during class, the energy of the room changes.  Yes, they are little bundles of hyperactivity, but there's something else.  It's like they are drunk.  They are less inhibited and their eyes get glassy.

I am the first person to over-indulge in sweet foods, especially when skies are gray and holidays abound.  It's an easy way to feel a little peppier and satiated.  I know that I crave sugar because I often don't eat enough or I don't eat enough complex carbs, proteins, and fat.  This month I am going to make a conscious effort to decrease my sugar intake.  At the same time, if I continue to eat a lot of sugary foods, I'm not going to get all down about it.  This is all part of the experiment and I am approaching it with a curious mind.  My hypothesis is that such an increase in sugar will soon have some visibly negative consequences.

This Sunday my strata is holding a Coffee Time event with treats.  I am manifesting a massive veggie platter with slices of toasted 7 grain baguette.

No comments:

Post a Comment