Tuesday 8 November 2011

Day 62 - Sea Veggies

My boyfriend's living situation is an un-televised union of MTV's The Real World and Survivor.  He lives in a house with others where they all work together, but often leave abruptly for various reasons.  Tomb raiding their culinary effects is a natural side-effect.  The first pillage has added items such as 1/3 of a bag of red lentils, 1/2 a container of cream cheese, a box of wheat thins, 6 stoned wheat crackers, 2 stroop waffles, 4 babel cheese rounds, nuts and goji berries that taste like they have been in a backpack, and the most interesting: 2 bags of bull kelp and 2 bags of winged kelp.

Gifts from the sea

Beyond the nori that holds the pieces of my sushi in place, I have never eaten kelp.  This kelp is from Dakini Tidal Wilds on Vancouver Island.  Tonight I ate some of the bull kelp dry from the bag and it was pretty salty.  Reconstituting it and squeezing a lemon over it made it a hell of a lot more palatable.  As a non-seafood eater, my mouth eschews the alien taste and texture.  However, given the nutritional benefits, including high iron content, I will give it the proverbial go.  After my last blood test, foods with higher iron were something I had been manifesting for my meals, and look what floated my way...

No comments:

Post a Comment